KickAssYoga

Dienstag, 12. Mai 2015

A day in the Life of a traveling Yoga Teacher: Venice, Italy

Traveling as a Yoga Teacher can be exhausting just as for anyone else. The only problem I have noticed is, that I am more sensible towards inconvenience rather than being comfortable in the discomfort of sitting for hours. I just can't do it. My lower back reminds me very quickly that sitting over all just is not healthy. 

I change my posture whilst sitting more often to sit in an active hip opener for example rather than collapsing. Breathing deeply and being aware of the treasure of living helps to focus on trusting your fate, your destiny, karma if you wish, that everything will be fine - instead of visualizing worst case situtations. 

Since I am happiest when I can move around and watch others how they dance, float or simply enjoy life, I have my routines when it comes to decompressing after sitting: Spinal rotations and flexions, moving my wrists and ankles, arms and legs and inversions to get the blood flowing towards my brain again.

So, last thursday after traveling for 5 hours, including 2 flights and sitting on my glutes for way too long, we arrived in Venice at the airport and the first thing my kids and I started doing were some 'moderate' cart wheels, handstands a little bit of crawling and Yoga (of course). We were just playing around, enjoying our freedom whilst waiting for the luggage and after about 2 Minutes one man out of nowhere started yelling at me:
"Do you think this is a gym?"
My reply: "The world is my gym."
Him even more annoyed: "Where are you from? This is not civilized behavior. Go back to your country and do it there. I am a proud italian."

These were really his words. I still can't believe it, although I already wrote about  this on fb and IG. And again, I still think that Movement is not related to religion, nor related to race. I love movement. It's just a celebration of being happy and alive. And it doesn't matter what you call the movement, if it's Yoga, Weight lifting, Pilates or any other Sport, it's what makes you happy. And I can also speak for me, but this is what Yoga is about: It's the ability to enjoy watching someone else be happy, to be compassionate without any other form of negative inclinations like jealousy or ego-trips.

I will keep doing what I love. And I hope you do too.




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen